Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Fort Me

This modest fort has staked its claim on our living room for the past couple of weeks and I don't forsee its demolition any time soon (below). Yesterday Rad and I spent a little time in our makeshift shack playing peek-a-boo and pushing cars around on the floor. Connor's car sounds have inexplicably disappeared but I will take his laughs over them any day.

Sometimes I would like to make a fort like this for myself - a warm, quiet, solitary place that I can choose to hide in or peek out of. A place where I'm mot bothered or forced to think of what has to be done. It's almost meditation in physical form. Maybe I want Rad to enjoy his fort because I long for one of my own. A fort isn't as confining as closing yourself in a room and not as nervewracking as sitting in an open space where dishes need to be done, clothes need to be put away, and papers need to filed. Fun forts built with sheets and blankets aren't really just built for kids, are they? Connor's was built for me too, and I'm the adult so I can comandeer it as needed :-)



No comments: