Thursday, December 01, 2011

ESP and N-A-Ps

On days when Z has class, 'Rad and I share some alone time in the car when I pick him up after work.  He usually falls asleep because it's that time of day for him, but I happily babble on to him about my day or life lessons I want him to learn.  When we pull into the garage, I'm never surprised to see his eyes closed, purring away like a kitten. 

This morning I dropped him off and engaged in the same one-sided banter.  When we pulled up to Amy's and I crawled in the backseat to get him out, though, I was shocked to see him still awake.  It almost felt like he was actually listening to me, like he had stayed awake to hear how I would end our conversation before we had to part ways.  It's so easy to inject meaning into a baby's little looks and sounds and actions, but I like to imagine that what I think he's thinking is actually what he's thinking.  I'm his mom.  We have that cosmic connection where I can read his mind, right?

It's unfortunate that I can't read Blue's mind.  If I could, I would have been able to stop him from scratching 'Rad's head.  I feel terrible.  'Rad was laying on a blanket in the middle of the living room floor with me at his feet.  Blue came over and started sniffing his face, then gave 'Rad a couple of friendly licks.  Connor was kind enough to oblige those canine kisses, and then Blue walked away.  But then he turned around, stretched, and pawed at 'Rad's head, leaving a single red welt from the top of his head to his forehead.  'Rad's face immediately turned red and he started bawling.  It didn't even last a minute, but aside from the vaccinations he's received, this is the first physical pain inflicted on him by outsiders.  I know Blue didn't mean him any harm - his stance implied that he was trying to play with 'Rado.  Still, if Blue decides to start being a jerk to his younger brother it's going to make for a long winter.

I know this post isn't visually appealing, and I'm going to blame it on the exhaustion that has finally caught up with me.  I've learned to function on six hours light, dreamless sleep, but today for the first time since heading back to work, I feel the need for a nap.  Maybe I'll try to take one now that 'Rad's down for a nap...


1 comment:

KristinG said...

I'm pretty sure that 6 hours is more than I typically get...enjoy! lol