Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Day 2: Connor-and-Me Time

Our trip to Michigan last week was wonderful, awesome, and much needed.  Not only was it great because we got to spend quality time with our families and introduce Connor to almost all of his aunts, uncles, and his great-grandparents, but also because we were there for about four days.  No fly-by-night visit where we arrive at midnight on Friday only to turn around and head back at noon on Sunday.  Of course, since we said good-bye to two sets of parents on Sunday, the waterworks flowed twice that day.

Baby in a hammock at my parents' house last week

Usually, the more often you do something the easier it gets, but the inverse is true for me when saying sayonara to family.  The term "heartstrings" has taken on a physical meaning for me because every time we pull out of my parents' driveway I feel like my heart starts to unravel, as if it's anchored at Cottage Street and I'm undoing it by jumping on the toll road and riding back up to Madtown.  Zach marvels at how true this sentiment is, but it does seem that all roads lead home.  I just hope we can travel that road soon and just once more without having to take it back away from home again.  We're still plugging away at Plan B, but if Plan A worked out sooner and first that would be beyond awesome.

Yesterday was my first day home alone with Connor.  Z headed back to work and life as usual but with a huge new spin and I spent most of the day on the couch, venturing out on the porch once to give Connor his dose of vitamin D.  I contemplated strollering him around the neighborhood, I thought about putting out something other than my pajamas, and I considered making myself breakfast, but yesterday I was more of a dreamer than a doer.  Besides feeding and entertaining Connor in his waking hours, I consumed processed calories and an unhealthy dose of daytime tv, fully feeling my new role as at at-home mom for the next several weeks.  It probably sounds miserable, but I was ok with it.  I knew that I wanted to take it easy on myself and not get overly ambitious and I achieved that.

Zach soothing the savage beast last night

Today, day 2 of Connor-and-me time, was even better.  We did the "weave" route around the neighborhood - which highlighted how out of shape I am - in the morning and headed to the doctor's office for his check-up before noon (clean bill of health and growing wonderfully!).  Then, as he napped after we got home, I played frisbee with Blue in the back yard and made some calls to nail down a daycare provider (still working on it).  A picked up bits and pieces around the house and now am just waiting to put dinner in the oven and for Z to get back from class.  It's been a successful day so far and I think things will just get better from here on out.  I'm sure I'll still have my days, but I like feeling like I can adjust to this new version of what is now normal for us.

The new normal for Blue - baby on board

No comments: