Friday, August 12, 2011

More Musings on Baby and Being Pregnant

One of my co-workers had her baby today. It was a scheduled c-section, so there was no frantic phone calling or labor pains at the office, but I've been thinking about her a lot today. Even though for her it's child number four (the best number in my opinion), I wonder what kind of awe she's feeling at finally having her baby in her arms, at seeing his face and no longer being able to feel him moving around inside her. At any moment now I'm waiting for that to be me.

It's funny to think of when my sisters were pregnant and they were going through these same feelings and how despondent I was. I wasn't anywhere near being ready to have a baby at that time, and I've never been an all-I've-ever-wanted-was-to-be-a-mom type of person. So, I couldn't fathom what they were going through nor did I take the time to imagine what it was like in their shoes. And now here I am, expecting everyone to be as excited as I am about the whole ordeal. That's the great thing about sisters though, they are excited for me and just like after I got married, I feel that this is one playing field that will soon be leveled. Growing up is so strange.

As I approach week 37 I'm still feeling good, trying to eat more fat so my boy can get what he needs. I've found that getting into and out of the car is a little more laborious than it used to be, and reaching for anything on the ground definitely involves thought before action is taken. And you don't want to know about my toenails (but I'm going to tell you about them anyway) - the last time I tried groom them there was a lot of rolling around on the couch and grunting involved, and that was weeks ago! I should take care of them now, though. I have a feeling that the next time I'm going to be able to comfortably reach my toes, I won't have the energy to do more than drool on them.

No comments: