Sunday, April 15, 2012

I'm Baaaack!

If you're still out there, I am, too.  Sorry for the long hiatus, but once I got back from Italy life picked up right where I had left it and I found myself trying to stop living the Italian life and start living the WI life at the same time; it was a difficult transition.  But I'm glad to be home, back with my boys, and (kinda) back in the swing of things.

My mom, two of my sisters, and I at the Coliseum 

Italy was incredible.  My mom, sisters, and I went to Rome and visited the Pantheon, the Coliseum, the Forum, Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, and other places I'm probably forgetting.  The next day, we took a cab to Vatican City and felt the mystery and awe it contained.  Then, we took a train to Florence and saw incredible works of art, world-famous structures and statues, and the final resting places of some of the world's greatest minds.  I couldn't believe that we were going to Italy before I got on the plane, and even now, after it's happened, I have a hard time believing that it ever did.  

One foot in Italy, the other in Vatican City (did you know Vatican City is the smallest independent state in the world?  Me neither)

Vatican City was my favorite stop on the trip, but I could see myself living in Rome.  There's something intangible about Rome that I just want to wrap my life in.  Every day we got up, walked down the street, had the best cappuccinos ever complimented by some of the yummiest pastries ever (eat your heart out, Entemman's), and saw a piece of history.  We had gelato each day, walked everywhere, and paid for things with 1 and 2 euro coins.  So many people ride scooters.  Parents are out walking around town with their babies in strollers at 10 and 11 at night.  And it's the city that Audrey Hepburn tooled around in in "Roman Holiday."  Life there just seemed so unrushed and more focused on the enjoyment of life than working.  I loved it there.  I'm trying to figure out how to work aspects of their lifestyle into my midwest living.  The morning pastry is the only thing that seems doable, but after that vacation it's the last thing I should be indulging in.

When I got home, Z and 'Rad had forged a new bond.  As heart-warming as it was to witness, it was also difficult for me.  I used to be top dog, and for the first day or so that was more important to me than just being the mama.  So I was at my goofiest, most obsessively loviest with that little boy (I may have laid it on a little too thick) and now we're back to where we were before I left.  

He's kinda mobile!  In the wrong direction, though - can only scoot backwards, no forward motion yet.

It's going to make your eyes roll, but I swear he grew while I was gone.  Every day while I was away, Z e-mailed me pictures of 'Rad and told me about how things were going.  Every day, I would write back and he would read my adventures to 'Rad, along with how many days were left until I came home.  When I got home I found out that my little dude could now get up on all fours.  Earlier this week he started holding his hands out to take charge of his bottle at feeding time (best. thing. ever).  They seriously do change by the day.

There's more for us to catch up on, but I think this is a good start.  More to come!

No comments: