Tuesday, February 07, 2012

More Solid Talk

Now that solid foods have been part of 'Rad's dietary repertoire for over a week, I find myself asking EVERYONE how they introduced solid foods.  How often did you feed them?  How much?  So when do you start giving actual chunks of fruits and veggies?  And did you feed the organic stuff?  Most everyone's answer is the same - I just kind of figured it out and fed solids three times a day - but I find myself still asking this question as if there is some magical answer that I'll be able to identify once I hear it.  Connor seems to be doing just fine with his twice a day solid feeds, but my mind keeps looking forward to the next step.

The nice, shiny red bebePOD that so thrilled us when Connor could fit into it without completely slumping over like a Beanie Baby has suddenly become too small; his nicely rolled, tightly packed little thighs are cradled a little too snugly in the seat.  I think we may need to bring up the high chair.  Tonight, like this morning, I held 'Rad in my lap while trying to aim for the moving target that was his open mouth.  He likes carrots, which is nice to know, but I can't be sure how much carrot he actually ate and how much carrot he wore as a whole-food facial.  It might sound gross, but there's something reassuring about having the food go in one color and come out the other side with the same hue.  It's that pure, clean, baby system that I find comforting.  I've often thought about doing a "cleanse" to achieve a similar end (har har har), but I don't know how many cups of nasty tea I really want to down along with my chocolate croissants and pop tarts.

Inspired by a close friend, here is a little video of 'Rad-a-dude's first experience with peas.  Unlike this friend, though, my video is not concise.  So unless you really like peas or watching a baby eat, the first 30 seconds or so are probably all you need.

Last night we did something different - we gave 'Rad his solid food at night, fed him a bottle of formula, put him down for bed at 8:00 pm, and didn't wake him up for a late feeding like we usually do.  It was a risky move, but one that we had to take to quench our curiosities.  The little dude slept all night with nary a peep and I had to wake him up after 6:00 am.  It was unbelievable.  And awesome.  I didn't get any more sleep than usual, but it's nice to know that he can go for that long of a stretch at night.  I wonder if he's going through another growth spurt...

No comments: