Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Simplicity

I don't know when I'll ever have the time or the energy to run again and I now know from personal experience why it is so hard to get the baby weight off.  Once upon a time, I ran a half marathon and thought that I would keep racking them up:


Once upon a time, I didn't worry about the after effects of downing a meal like this (note: this was a meal for two):


I'm sure breastfeeding has helped with my postpartum weight, but I am not wild about being so sedentary.  It's not like I have a two year-old that I'm chasing around the house.  Instead I have an 11 week-old who has just started waking up in the middle of the night again.

Dear running shoes, 


     You probably won't see the light of day until the days become light again.


My deepest condolences,
  
   Jojo

My weight doesn't usually bother me, but the holiday season always brings a renewed focus to my waist and thighs and arms, all of those parts are typically accentuated or adorned during this festive time of year.  Not only are those parts dolled up, but those are the same parts that show how much I enjoy indulging in deviled eggs, turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, and pumpkin pie.  Good thing I'll have my favorite accessory to draw attention to all of the right places:  the 'Rad-a-dude.

Every day, his daycare provider fills out a sheet noting when he ate, how much he ate, when he slept, and when she changed his diaper.  These are the important things in a baby's life.  It is the definition of simple.  I want to keep 'Rad's life simple so that he can focus his energies on other things.  I want to make our lives simple so we can focus on him and each other.  But if simplifying my life pre-C was hard, doing it now is like trying to thread a shoelace through a needle.  Is it possible?  Maybe it's a matter of redefining the word "simple" to make that goal achievable, because when I think of a simple life I think of one lived in a resort town, on the beach or in the mountains, in the off-season.  I imagine my life as it was 10 years ago.  But I wouldn't give up the past 10 years for the sake of simplicity.

Here's one simple thing I can pass along to you: a recipe for roasted brussel sprouts.  Hear me out, because they are fracking good.

Roasted B-Sprouts


Step 1: Buy brussel sprouts, as many as you please
Step 2: Bring them home and rinse them off
Step 3: Cut off the ends and throw them in a bowl.  Toss with olive oil
Step 4: Once sprouts are coated with oil, season with salt and freshly ground pepper
Step 5: Pop them in the oven at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes, stirring them up once after 15-20 minutes

This is the only way I've ever had brussel sprouts and I lurve them big time.  I'm in the process of polishing off over a pound of roasted sprouts.  I can't stop popping them!

No comments: