Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Aging

Someone once said that a website is like a garden; you have to prune it and keep planting so that it stays fresh and worth visiting. I wrote a post last week, but I feel that my blog has become stagnant and the sweet peas and carrots I've planted in it are starting to wither like the seedlings on my front porch. But I'm back, and with a serious belly picture in hand. Check this mother out:


I have serious love for the belly. The strangest thing about it right now is that when I look down there are times when I can't see my unmentionables. Imagine knowing and feeling that something is there but not being able to see it, at least not without contorting or twisting yourself in some uncomfortable way. Especially when that thing is your underwear. It's a little unsettling at times, but generally I find it hilarious. That and the fact that grooming my toenails has become a two-person job. Thanks to my and Zach's efforts, my toenails are painted 5 different shades of berry and coral.

Doesn't it look like I'm trying to fit into a tiny flip flop?

There are two landmarks I'm celebrating today: I'm on week 26 of my pregnancy and I'm on year 30 of my life. Thirty. Three zero. I'm actually ok with it. I didn't wake up feeling older, I'm not sitting here feeling older, and I'm pretty sure I'll go to bed feeling just as good. However, I don't take solace in the fact that two of my sisters said that turning 31 is when they felt like crying about their age. But I think I'll be able to approach 31 as well as I've handled 30.

I now understand what people mean when they say they wouldn't want to redo their 20s. And sure, I could be making more money, living in a bigger house, or driving a fancier car if I had made different choices in my 20s, but I'm happy with where I am right now: 30, well-fed, happily wed, and pregnant. My 20s were all about me, but I'm looking forward to my 30s being about my family. It's funny how the phrase "my family" now can mean more than my parents and my sisters. My family. Huh. I like it.

While I'm digging into what it means to me to be newly 30, Jooner's been doing a lot of growing of his own. According to babycenter.com:

The network of nerves in your baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before. He may now be able to hear both your voice and your partner's as you chat with each other. He's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of his lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when he's born and takes that first gulp of air. And he's continuing to put on baby fat. He now weighs about a pound and two-thirds and measures 14 inches (an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel.

That could explain why he was kicking to the beat of the band when we went to Bratfest on Monday. Mama's little drummer? Mayhaps...

Parents.com informed us that,

This week, some of his most notable developments are cosmetic: His eyebrows and eyelashes are thick and lush now, and the hair on his head has grown longer and denser. By this time, all the parts of your baby's eyes are in place, and he's getting ready to open them in just a couple of weeks! Your baby's lungs continue to grow stronger, readying him for life outside the womb -- although it's about 10 more weeks until they'll be fully mature. To support his growing body, your baby's spine is becoming stronger and more flexible. It's about the same length as the palm of your hand, but it contains a whopping 150 joints, 33 rings, and some 1,000 ligaments.

To which Z responded, "I hope he doesn't get his dad's back." I concur, that is one trait it would best to not inherit from the big guy. Jooner, I'm so curious about you.

No comments: