Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Baby, What a Big Surprise

Today was the first time someone who didn't know I was pregnant asked me if I was, and it's all thanks to this:

Me and Jooner (you wouldn't think there'd be a need to shorten the already shortened nickname "Junior," but I found a need. And Jooner will never be referred to as "JR" because I knew a JR and didn't like him. Plus, there's JR from Dallas. Really, what's there to like in a JR?) took Blue for a walk and found ourselves the target of a tentative neighbor who wasn't sure if I was pregnant or just adding a little jelly to my donut. I'm glad she asked though, because her inquiry made today a landmark day: It means I'm really showing! I just need to wear my spandex one-piece around the neighborhood more often and I'll be getting plenty more comments.

When my sister was pregnant, she would always make a playlist with appropriate songs to take with her to the hospital. For example, when she was having her son the song "Brother" by Toad the Wet Sprocket (click this link, sign up, and you can download it free!) was etched into a CD's digital memory to help her through delivery. Today, the song "Baby, What a Big Surprise" caught my attention as an apropos song for the same reason. I'm not sure what it was about it that made me pay attention since it's not the only song with "baby" in the title, but it just seemed so perfect at that moment. Was it Peter "The Voice" Cetera's vocals? Was it the fact that it's a Chicago song and I go crazy for some good Chicago? I can't say, but I might have to hold on to that one. What playlist suggestions would you give me?

Lyrics for "Baby, What a Big Surprise" by Chicago:


Right before my very eyes
I thought that you were only fakin' it
And like before my heart was takin' it

Baby what a big surprise
Right before my very eyes

Yesterday it seemed to me
My life was nothing more than wasted time
But here today you've softly changed my mind

Baby what a big surprise
Right before my very eyes

Just to be alone
Was a little more than I could take
Then you came to stay
Hold me in the morning
Love me in the afternoon
Help me find my way
Now and then just like before
I think about the love I've thrown away
But now it doesn't matter anyway

Baby, what a big surprise

No comments: