Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thinking About Thinking About Pregnancy

I'm a liar. I didn't post anything yesterday, let alone pictures. But this time I won't lie: I have no week 16 baby-belly picture for you yet, but I will! I'm not giving any timelines though; I've been pretty lazy lately.

Even though being pregnant means bringing a new life into the world, a lot of people take the fatalistic when talking about it. "You better do (enter fun/mundane trip/task/event here) now, while you can," they say, smiling that knowing smile that once baby comes around life about you is over and life about baby begins and never ends. I know they're right, but does it have to sound so foreboding? Sure, we won't be able to head out to the movies on a whim when baby is born, but the movie theater didn't burn up, sink to the bottom of the sea, and get sifted to the earth's core by a massive earthquake. I mean, the theater is still there, there will just be more planning involved to make it there. Those comments make me feel like I should be living life like someone who is terminally ill, as if my days are numbered and there's a whole lotta living I need to cram in before my number is called. Maybe I should, anyway? Maybe these are just the comments of someone who has no idea what's coming to her...

Since everyone likes pictures, did you notice the new little one to your right? I'm reading "The Man Who Loved Children" which is a book about family. Completely coincidental. But it's interesting. And it also makes me feel like my word bank was bankrupted by Fanny and Freddie; do you know what a jeremiad or a wastrel are? I even had to look up pernicious because I've started to doubt myself. And now I don't remember what it means anymore...I'm going to chalk that one up to the infamous pregnancy brain.

3 comments:

Emilie-Eric said...

i hate when people say that - i live a life that i hope a child will fit into pretty well. all the things that i currently love to do, i hope to share with my child. if life ended when we all had kids, then no one would have kids. it's simply a new chapter, where we find new favorite things to do with our family. and every once in a while, we call up a babysitter and divulge in a little "when we were young and crazy" activity. no harm done!

Unknown said...

I know you're going to be a great mom some day! Heck, I think my life would be enriched if I did half of the things that you do, lady.

Unknown said...

Jojo is really saying all this, didn't realize Z was logged in. Oops!