Thursday, November 03, 2011

The 2-Month Check Up

'Rad had his two-month check up and first round of immunizations today.  He's following his growth curve, checking in at 11 lbs 10 oz and 23" long, and he's a happy little clam.  Well, he was a happy little clam until he got jabbed in the thighs three times with well-meaning needles.  I had to look away when shot #3 was administered because I thought I was going to cry.  My crying wouldn't have compared to his, though.  You know something hurts when the pain shows on your face before any sound escapes from your mouth.  That's where 'Rad was and it's the first time I've seen him in such agony.  

The sounds of babies crying in the exam rooms near ours should have been a warning to both of us.  Luckily, I had my magic baby soother there - the car seat.  When it was all said and done, I set him in, strapped him in, and the exact moment I picked it up and started heading for the hallway he stopped whining and sat quietly while I checked out.  I put the car seat down for a second when I was at the front desk and he started crying again so I picked it up and bam, quiet baby came back to play.  That kid is like his mom and his dog brother - dangle the prospect of a car ride in front of us and we're immediately soothed.
Play mat time!  This one's a little long, but he gives you some gems that make it worthy viewing

Since my maternity leave is dwindling down so quickly, I'm trying to make a point of taking more pictures and video of 'Rad.  Watching the video I've taken makes me sad, knowing that so many of those moments will happen while I'm at work and that he won't be two months old for long.  While I'd like to think that I'll be fine back at work, I'm fully expecting to have a breakdown, especially knowing that everyone is going to ask how Connor is and how motherhood is and how I feel about being back at work.  They may be well-meaning conversation topics, but it feels like they are designed to make me start lactating and crying.  I guess you'll have that.

'Rad showing off his fists of power

No comments: